This role manages facility, contractor, operational, production, food and beverage and delegate relations activities for assigned events. The position is responsible for related functions from inception to completion, including performing initial site research and proposals, and implementing all contractual arrangements for vendor services at all shows. He/She will attend assigned shows and is responsible for managing all on-site operations. The successful applicant must be able to meet deadlines, handle multiple priorities, have strong interpersonal and organisational skills, and be detail oriented.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for show specific financial management including budget creation, monitoring revenue/expense performance, and proper forecasting as requested by the operations director/VP.
- Lead and contribute in the management of all aspects of conferences, meetings and events (pre-planning, onsite execution and post event wrap up)
- Perform site searches, provide recommendations to show staff, and negotiate hotel and convention center contracts
- Negotiates contracts for onsite contractors, hotel room rates, catering, etc., ensuring agreements are within the corporate guidelines. Communicates space requirements, negotiates complimentary rooms, percent increase limits, cancellation policies, catering, security, audio-visual needs, parking, etc., and complies with all facilities contracts and general contractor agreements
- Communicates regularly with all contractors including the general services contractor, venue staff, sales, catering, banquet, and audio-visual and services managers to arrange for all event needs, food function menus, coffee service, social activities, and coordinates these functions with other expositions staff
- Produce event specifications and manage vendors for all aspects of events (F&B, AV, GSC, temps, photography, transportation, security, etc.)
- Maintains communications with sponsors/exhibitors to ensure that problems are discussed and resolved.
- Process incoming delegates to build and maintain event attendance records
- Coordinate with sales department as well as buyer recruitment to create master registration files for each event that is assigned
- Act as the main point of contact to build relationships with clients and attendees and provide continuous support
- Provide excellent customer service by responding promptly to client inquiries over the phone and through email
- Act as the direct liaison for our in-house event coordination platform while keeping records within platform up to date with all attendee and client information
- Contribute effective, constructive ideas to the show team in the strategic planning and execution process
- Assume planning responsibilities for multiple events and meetings often simultaneously
- Contribute to overall team success by identifying problems and proactively seeking out methods to improve self-performance and/or efficiency of an operation or task
- Manages on-site functions at assigned events, including all meeting rooms and other event spaces
- Travel both domestically and internationally and work overtime as needed to attend events and client meetings
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in event production, hospitality or high-end meeting/conference planning
- Cooperates with others and proactively contributes to a positive working environment
- Strong interpersonal, time management and organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task
- Must be highly detail oriented, with problem solving and conflict management abilities
- Prefer staff management experience in order to train, motivate and develop staff
- Ability to delegate and manage stress
- Working knowledge of personal computers and MS Office, cost management and budgetary responsibilities
- Some graphic design experience is helpful but not required
- Strong customer-service orientation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Contract negotiations and implementation experience is critical
- Experience with hotel and/or banquet sales or facilities management and planning.